-->

Sunday, April 1, 2012

beer can be pretty


About a year ago Pretty Things: beer and ale project, based out of Cambridge, MA was the focal point of all of my aspirations. However I did get married 11 months ago, so now I know there's more to life than opening a brewery. Or so my wife tells me.



Back to the beer! The two beers I have enjoyed the most are their signature saison "American" Jack D'Or and their seasonal farmhouse ale Field Mouse's Farewell. I am pretty much a fan of most craft saisons and any beer based off the grain palate of a rodent.
creepy brown lager label...
The one downside is Pretty Things' availability. Presently their beer is regionally restricted to New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts. So this is really only good news for folks already living in the northeast.

the heart and soul of Pretty Things' beer, Jack "the mournful grain of barley"
To help get you as excited as I've become about Pretty Things, here are a few tidbits:

-Pretty Things is a gypsy brewery; they don't have their own space and to brew they borrow time at their friends' breweries. Imagine having multiple friends at multiple breweries!

-Pretty Things has a unique philosophy concerning beer styles, which is summarized in the description of their most vintage, intriguing, and highly praised beer Saint Botolph's Town. Essentially they break all the rules and they're very into blending yeast varieties.

-Pretty Things master brewer, Dann Paquette, has been a brewer at 7 different breweries and got his start brewing at Daleside Brewery in Yorkshire, England

-Dann also creates and designs the bottle artwork.

-Dann will teach you how the master brewers enjoy their beer. Which is funny, because whenever I pour beer as per his instructions my friends laugh at me.

1 comment: